Here are the mystery novels I read last year – the good and the bad with my comments. Some were probably not published in 2007. The only mystery that stood out for me was Karin Slaughter’s entry in her popular Grant County series with an ending that ended my enjoyment of the series.
- Exit Music by Ian Rankin, c2007, the last DI Rebus book–maybe. Solidly written and plotted. Only available in the UK if I am not mistaken.
- Beyond Reach by Karin Slaughter, c2007 – another captivating read in the Grant County series with an unbelievable ending that I am still recovering from that has ended my enjoyment of the series
- Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, c2003 – excellent psychological thriller that I just could not put down, truly a page-turner
- The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen, c2007 – good historical mystery told in dual time period of past and present with a tragic ending
- Dearly, Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, c2005 – very quick read featuring anti-hero Dexter Morgan, a serial killer who targets the scum of the earth, who you can’t help but like
- Mark of the Lion by Suzanne Arruda, c2007 – very good historical mystery featuring larger than life Jade del Cameron. The sequel is already out (and reserved at my local library)
- Heartsick by Chelsea Cain, c2007 – Ms. Cain’s debut novel was a mixed bag for me. It features the serial killer slash damaged cop storyline. The hero in here really stood out for me.
- Play Dirty by Sandra Brown, c2007 – I’m a Sandra Brown whore. Love her books despite the flaws. Her stories are often riddled with unlikable characters and implausibilities but I enjoyed her latest novel and look forward to reading her next novel, Smoke Screen, this fall.
- Die for Me by Karen Rose, c2007 – Ms. Rose is an author who gets better with each successive book. I am a fan.
[tags]Year of Review 2007, Mystery Novels, Suspense Novels[/tags]